Saturday, October 08, 2005

Combat Babe


U.S. Marine Corps Lance Corporal Erin Liberty, of Niceville, Florida, is an ammunition technician with Ammunition Company, 2nd Supply Battalion, 2nd Force Service Support Group. She jumped in a seven-ton truck with nineteen other Marines, part of a convoy to carry them home to their base at Camp Fallujah, Iraq last June 23rd. She was sitting second to last seat in the back, on the right side when an IED constructed of five 155-millimeter incendiary rounds and propane tanks detonated six feet from each side of the truck.

“When it blew up, we all flew back and then forward again in our seats. I looked at the girl next to me and saw her bounce up and down in the flames. I just closed my eyes and waited for it to end. I felt myself being thrown in the air, but my eyes remained shut. When I impacted the ground, I realized nothing hurt. I felt everything that was happening, but it was like there was a bubble around me, because when I hit the ground and woke up, I felt no pain. I looked at my hands and saw the skin hanging off my left pinky finger, but it still didn't hurt. Not then.”
Erin survived with third degree burns on her hands, two black eyes, and a broken cervical vertebrae in her neck. The Seabee woman sitting next to her wasn't as lucky.

Erin was sent home for surgery, scheduled for next month, but first she got married, having been engaged before she went to Iraq. “It's been a rough engagement,” she said.

Now ask yourself, why does the mainstream media make Cindy Sheehan the face of the war in Iraq and not Erin Liberty?


Thanks to Blackfive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home